What should we bring? This question accompanies nearly every conversation I have about an upcoming engagement session. So, I thought I’d take the time to share with you a few tips on how to prepare for your engagement session.
The biggest thing I want you to remember from your engagement session is that you had fun! It’s a great time to get to know us as your photographers, to see how we work and for us to see who you are as a couple. Matt & I both LOVE engagement sessions and getting to know our couples before the wedding day, so our goal is to help you have as much fun as we are. After all, the best way not to have cheesy smiles is to smile for real.
How to Prepare for your Engagement Session
Here are some practical things you can do to prepare:
1. Clothing – you want it to match who you are. If you’re a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, make sure you bring at least one outfit that’s jeans and a t-shirt! On the other hand, this is a great time to dress up as a couple and look your best. You want to compliment each other, but personally, I would avoid perfectly matching outfits (ie. jeans & white t-shirts). I would also avoid loud patterns (big stripes, flowers, crazy patterns), as they tend to draw the focus to your shirt rather than the emotion. Bring at least 2 different outfits and feel free to come with choices.
There are always exceptions to the rules! These patterns are pretty loud, but work so well for this couple! If you have any questions or doubts about your outfits we’re here to help.
2. Makeup – YES! Even if you don’t normally wear makeup, I would recommend wearing some foundation and mascara. The camera picks up even the smallest blemish, and although Matt works magic with photoshop, we want your images to show who you are, as naturally as possible. If you are getting your makeup done for your wedding day, your engagement session might be a good time to have your trial done. Bring along some makeup to touch up between changes and locations.
3. Hair – This is a great opportunity to get your hair done professionally. It will truly show in the pictures! However it is completely up to you if you want to get your hair done or if you want it to look like it does in your day to day life. Unfortunately, I cannot control weather and or wind, so thinking about your hair is important. I suggest you, at minimum, make sure it’s brushed and clean. Bringing along a hairbrush, hairspray etc. in case you need to fix anything along the way is also a good idea.
4. Accessorize – Put a little extra time into the details. Of course the main attraction will be your engagement ring, but don’t forget about the shoes (ok, I love shoes and think they are important in all circumstances), other jewelry, watches, purses, hats etc. Really this is your time to shine, to show your personality and maybe even buy something new :) You may want to get a manicure/pedicure too, since we will be getting shots of your rings and shoes.
5. Rest – I’ve been talking a lot about what you can do to look your best, so I think this is the most important part. You want to be rested and relaxed. Get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of water, your body needs it!
6. Location – The possibilities are endless. Really they are! The place you first met, or where you got engaged. A beautiful park, the city, a random field or your home. Sometimes you will know right away where you want to go, but if you don’t we can help you choose the perfect place. Often we will do two locations that are close together. Once the location and date are picked for the session, we will let you know what time of the day is best (usually in the late afternoon/evening). Props can also add to the location, if you so wish to add something more to your session. A classic car, fun chairs, balloons, ice cream… see, I told you, the possibilities are endless!
7. Don’t Stress – this is a fun time! We seriously love getting to know our couples during these sessions, and always have a great time. Even if you feel completely unprepared, we don’t and we’ll help you have the time of your life! You probably won’t even realize you’re being photographed ;)
There are my recommendations on how to prepare for your engagement session. Now, let’s do this!
Cheers to Love,